Friday, October 18, 2024
<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-a038c2df-d076-b8e0-ebad-d7e2fa28c83f"><span>Joseph Michael Allen</span></span></p>

Joseph Michael Allen

A man was stunned by University Police for resisting arrest Friday, authorities said.

Joseph Michael Allen, 18, of Pembroke Pines, was drinking with his girlfriend in the Springs Residential Complex when he became aggressive and left the UF dorm at about 10 p.m., according to an arrest report. His girlfriend tried to hold the door closed, and Allen jerked the door open, ripping off his girlfriend’s toenail.

Allen punched walls and shattered a car’s rear window outside, according to the report. The damage to the window was estimated at $200. A police officer found Allen in the Levin College of Law parking lot and ordered him to stop. Allen ignored the officer and continued walking away, police said. When the officer tried to detain him, Allen pulled away, according to the report.

The officer said Allen violently attempted to get his hands free when he was detained on the ground. At one point, he turned around and spat in the officer’s face, according to the report. The officer used a stun gun to stun Allen until he complied, according to the report.

Allen was arrested on charges of disorderly intoxication, battery on an officer, resisting arrest and property damage. He was taken to the Alachua County Jail where he was released Sunday on his own recognizance. He could not be reached for comment.

Contact Meryl Kornfield at mkornfield@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter at @merylkornfield

Joseph Michael Allen