Saturday, October 19, 2024
<p>Perry</p>

Perry

A Jacksonville woman was arrested Monday morning for abusing drugs in front of her 4-year-old daughter before the child’s father died of an overdose, Gainesville Police said.

Taylor Cheyenne Perry, 23, told police that she was going into rehabilitation for her substance abuse problem but wanted to have “one last drug binge,” according to an arrest report.

Perry invited the child’s father, Joseph Beavins, 29, to join. Perry told police she was already high on methamphetamine when he arrived with their daughter at the Sleep Inn, located at 4110 SW 40th Blvd., on Sunday, according to the report.

Later that night, Perry and her daughter went to bed, but Beavins continued to use the drugs, according to the report.

In the morning, the child woke Perry up because Beavins would not wake up. After realizing Beavins was dead, Perry left the hotel with her daughter, according to the report.

Perry called the hotel about an hour and a half after she left and told hotel staff to send an ambulance. Beavins was pronounced dead at 7:50 a.m., according to the report.

Drugs and drug paraphernalia were found in the hotel, which would have been well within reach of a 4-year-old, police said.

Perry was arrested on a charge of child abuse and taken to the Alachua County Jail where she remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $40,000 bond.

@catie_wegman

mwegman@alligator.org

Perry