Saturday, September 07, 2024

In my last music review, I listed several great options for anyone’s summer playlist — from DJ Khaled to Calvin Harris to LANY. However, I left out a key part of what’s currently dominating the charts — female talent. So, in this follow up, here are some female artists releasing amazing music for your soundtrack.

“Something to Tell You”  by Haim

Even though catchy pop songs are at the top of the charts during the summer, it’s always good to throw in more alternative tracks, and that’s where Haim’s new album, “Something to Tell You,” comes in.

The Los Angeles-based group, comprised of sisters Este, Danielle and Alana Haim — accompanied by keyboardist Tommy King and drummer Jody Giachello — revamps ‘70s music styles to bring you a girl group that breaks the mold.

The 11-track album takes elements from across the music spectrum — from country, pop and folk — and can best be described as alternatively eclectic.

Danielle, who is the band’s lead singer, has a soft yet powerful soulfulness to her vocals, and the instrumentals are carefully layered to complement rather than overpower. The title track, “Something to Tell You,” has a delicate echo during the chorus that brings an old-school element to the song that is punctuated with supplemental beats.

“Something to Tell You” is the perfect follow up to the group’s 2013 debut album “Days Are Gone.” If you’re looking to mix up your playlist and add some genre diversity, give Haim a listen.

“Praying”  by Kesha

After making her debut with the chart-topping party track, “Tik Tok,” pop star Kesha is taking her music to a softer side with her new track “Praying.” Without the overproduction, autotune, pointless lyrics and over-the-top outfits, listeners are able to fully appreciate Kesha for her abilities.

This song documents her struggle following her fallout with music producer Lukasz Sebastian Gottwald, or Dr. Luke. It has a true message that listeners can understand and relate to, making Kesha a well-rounded artist who audiences can take seriously.

“I can thank you for how strong I have become / ‘Cause you brought the flames and you put me through hell,” Kesha sings in “Praying.”

Anyone listening to this track who has been through strife or struggle can connect to her lyrics and feel the same emotions as the music swells and her vocal riffs strengthen.

With more music on the horizon, listeners can look forward to an authentic version of Kesha that is not overshadowed by slapdash production.

“Sorry Not Sorry”

by Demi Lovato

Despite a cringe-worthy lead in and elements that make this track slightly overproduced, Demi Lovato’s new track “Sorry Not Sorry” is a great addition to your gym playlist.

Throughout the song, it sounds as though Lovato and her songwriters tried too hard to separate her from her softer Disney image. This effort to further cement Lovato as a mature and independent artist takes focus away from the concise message of the song.

The song would have been better executed had Lovato collaborated with an electronic dance music producer like Zedd or David Guetta, who are known for their upbeat tracks. However, Lovato’s powerful vocals and the clean, complementary beat in the chorus save the song from possible disaster.

Although the track joins the ranks of an enumerated list of pop/EDM fusions, this song serves as an anthem, reminding listeners to stay unapologetically true to themselves. In the future, Lovato should tread lightly in order to prevent her songs from becoming unoriginal, even among her own catalog.