Saturday, October 19, 2024

Gainesville Police arrested two Georgia men after finding about 122 grams of heroin in their car Wednesday.

At about 9:40 a.m., Jose Juan Irizarry Mota, 34, of Jonesboro, Georgia, and Yomar Eusebio Candelario, 28, of Stockbridge, Georgia, were pulled over near mile marker 378 northbound on Interstate 75 for having dark-tinted windows and following too closely behind another vehicle, according to the report.

After seeing there was an illegal amount of tint, the officer started to issue a warning, according to the report. While writing it, the officer noticed indicators of other criminal activity and asked to search the car.

Uncontrollably shaking, Irizarry Mota told the officer there was nothing to be concerned about in the car, and Candelario, the driver, then gave the officer reasons not to search the car, according to the report. The officer’s police dog, Shiloh, then began to smell around the car, later giving the officer a positive alert for narcotics.

Inside the car, the officer found about 122 grams of heroin concealed inside a black backpack on the back passenger-side floorboard.

Police arrested the two on charges of trafficking in opium, and took them to the Alachua County Jail, where they remain as of press time in lieu of $20,000 bonds.