Saturday, September 14, 2024

Hackology! event held to attract millennials, spark interest with trivia, activities

<p>Chris Castellanos, a 22-year-old UF recreation, parks and tourism alumnus, holds an artificial fossil to find what animal it belongs to with his friends during a game organized at the Florida Museum of Natural History's Hackology on Wednesday night. About 150 people attended the event.</p>

Chris Castellanos, a 22-year-old UF recreation, parks and tourism alumnus, holds an artificial fossil to find what animal it belongs to with his friends during a game organized at the Florida Museum of Natural History's Hackology on Wednesday night. About 150 people attended the event.

About 150 people answered trivia questions about museum pieces Wednesday night.

The Florida Museum of Natural History held its first Hackology! to draw millennials to the museum, said Tiffany Ireland, a museum educator. Museum Hack, a company based in New York that specializes in giving unique tours, ran trivia and activities about items on display in the museum.

Museum Hack has been around for a few years, and Ireland said it has revitalized interest in museums around in New York, particularly in art and natural history.  

“It’s a different way of looking at art,” she said. “It’s a different way of going to a museum.”

Hackology! tickets went on sale in March and sold out Monday, Ireland said. Usually these tours cost about $50, but the museum’s cost about $20, and the museum posted coupon codes on Facebook for a half-off discount.

Four Museum Hack employees spent all day Wednesday planning trivia and learning about pieces in the museum, said Kaitlin Gardiner, the museum’s marketing and public relations coordinator. She said the museum is trying to bring people out who don’t normally come to museums.

“Our goal is to really target young professionals and offer a different type of event that isn’t really specific or offered anywhere else in Gainesville,” Gardiner said.