Saturday, October 19, 2024

Residents to make crafts, learn about sustainability

Mike Myers will teach Gainesville residents how to repurpose and upcycle household items on Wednesday.

Myers, a co-founder of The Repurpose Project, will lead a Lunch and Learn event from noon to 1 p.m. at the Alachua County Administration Building, located at 12 SE First St., said Rachel Wayne, the program development specialist for the Alachua County Office of Sustainability.

Guests will use items such as orange juice containers, paper towel tubes, egg cartons and coffee-creamer caps to make functional household items, according to a press release.

“Once you learn how, you’ll wonder how you ever did without it,” Wayne said.

She said repurposing can reduce the community’s energy consumption and save residents’ money.

On Wednesday, she said, all attendees will have something to keep.

“Sometimes they take home items,” she said. “Sometimes it’s practical knowledge. Sometimes it’s a little bit of both.”

The Lunch and Learn series started in November and has since held seven sessions, Wayne said. Sessions on gardening and solar power are scheduled for April.

“We operate under a principle of ‘walk the talk,’” she said. “We can put out all of the information we want on how citizens can save energy, but it doesn’t make a difference if we aren’t showing them how.”

Megan Sweeney, a 20-year-old marine science sophomore, said the event is a new way to have fun and learn valuable lessons about conservation.

“Plus, it’s a great study break,” she said.