Saturday, October 19, 2024
Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A maintenance worker at University House apartments was arrested Monday morning after police said he stole $900 worth of gift cards from his manager’s desk.

Sometime between Jan. 29 and Feb. 7, Andrew James Hegyi, 27, stole three Visa gift cards — each worth $300 — from the desk, according to a police report.

Hegyi then went on a week-long shopping spree between Feb. 8 and Feb. 16, making purchases at Advance Auto Parts, Wal-Mart and the Boot Factory Outlet, among others, according to the report.

In total, the report stated, Hegyi spent about $614.

Hegyi’s largest purchase was for about $246 at the Boot Factory Outlet, according to the report. His smallest purchase was for almost $4 at Olive Garden.

According to police, surveillance footage from Wal-Mart, Target and the Boot Factory Outlet show Hegyi using the cards.

The apartment complex, situated at 725 NW 13th St., hired Hegyi about three years ago, and his position gave him access to the manager’s office, according to the report.

He later told police the gift cards were found in a trash can outside the office, according to the report.

Hegyi could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Police arrested Hegyi on a charge of grand theft and took him to the Alachua County Jail, from where he was released on his own recognizance Tuesday.