Saturday, October 19, 2024

Local business hosts event for community members to share innovative ideas

A local business will hold its third Studio Talk for entrepreneurs and small business owners Thursday.

Home Work, situated at 528 N. Main St., is a co-working studio for people such as illustrators, designers and writers to create and share ideas.

The studio will host John Engels, a co-founder of the AxoGen biotechnology company, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at its upcoming session.

Edith Williams opened the space in October and launched the Studio Talk series in January. Thursday’s talk will include wine and food, she said.

“The discussion will be about helping people figure out what they are excited about,” she said. “Either those just starting out or those who already own businesses.”

Studio Talk is a free event open to anyone — regardless of his or her experience level, Williams said.  

“Gainesville has a lot of creative people who are working on the fringe of innovation,” she said. “This is a place for people to collaborate, have a sense of community and be inspired by each other.”

Mary Whiting, a classical archaeologist, is using the space to write a book.

“It’s like the gym for your mind,” she said. “It’s a place you can go to do research, collaborate or even have a cup of coffee with someone.”

Whiting said she has never missed a Studio Talk.

“We aren’t all in an uncomfortable auditorium attending a lecture,” she said. “It’s real people talking to us as equals, and that is something special.”