Saturday, October 19, 2024

UF’s University Police is collecting phones to help end domestic violence.

UPD started collecting wireless phones, batteries, chargers and accessories Wednesday and will continue to collect until Feb. 29. To collect items, UPD has partnered with HopeLine from Verizon, a program that recycles or resells unused phones and accessories to support victims and survivors of domestic violence.

Wayne Clark, a UPD spokesman, said he is working with a team of officers to put on the drive.

“Cellphones are vital to people in these situations,” Clark said. “It can mean the difference between them being alone or being able to reach out to family, organizations that can help them and legal assistance.”

Verizon has collected more than 11.4 million phones worldwide, given $29 million in cash grants to domestic violence organizations and donated 190,000 phones to victims, according to its website.

The program donates to organizations such as the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Break the Cycle.

Eric Cruz, a UF history junior, said he believes the program will be successful.

“I do have a few things I could donate, especially if it’s going to a good cause,” the 20-year-old said. “I think it’s a good idea; it’s so easy to just drop stuff off, and most people have these extra things laying around.”

Although they haven’t received any donations yet, Clark said he thinks they will.

“The building is open 24 hours, so even if you want to show up at 2 a.m. to drop off a phone, you can do that,” Clark said. “We would love to fill the collection box that we have. Maybe we’ll even have to order more boxes.”