Saturday, October 19, 2024

University Police are investigating the death of a UF student that occurred outside Trusler Hall on Wednesday morning.

At about 8 a.m. Wednesday, officers found Wesley Michael Spano, 19, dead inside a vehicle by the residence hall, located on Gale Lemerand Drive, said Officer Wayne Clark, a UPD spokesman. He was later identified as a Trusler Hall resident, according to an email from UF Housing and Residence Education.

Spano’s family was notified Wednesday morning.

Police do not suspect that criminal activity played a role in Spano’s death, Clark said.

UF spokesperson Janine Sikes said Spano

was a computer science freshman who started classes in the Fall.

Spano attended St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, where he played on the school’s varsity baseball team as a pitcher, according to the school’s website.

He was a member of the National Honor So- ciety and the Spanish Honor Society, according to a baseball recruitment video on a St. Thomas YouTube channel. His cumulative unweighted grade-point average in high school was about 3.9, and his weighted GPA was about 5.2.

He volunteered with Investment and Money Management Inc., a nonprofit that teaches athletes to make smart financial choices. Spano also performed at weddings, parties and Cross- Fit competitions as the owner of his own discjockey company, according to the video.

As of press time, no official report has been released with details about the incident.

UF has not announced if it will plan a ceremony for the student, Sikes said. 

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo