Saturday, October 19, 2024
Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Authorities are searching for a man who police say exposed himself to women in the Norman Parking Garage, two blocks from campus.

Since Jan. 6, University Police have investigated two cases of a man exposing his genitals to women in the garage, said Officer Wayne Clark, a UPD spokesman.

The first incident was not officially documented, Clark said.

The second incident occurred Jan. 14 at noon when the man flashed a woman walking up a Norman Garage stairwell, Clark said.

Police believe the same man is responsible for both occurrences. 

“He didn’t say anything to her,” Clark said. “He didn’t touch her. He was just in the stairwell exposing himself.”

The man had short hair and wore a blue jacket and pants. He’s probably between the ages of 30 and 40 years old, Clark said.

Gainesville Police responded to a separate incident Jan. 14 after a man stood in the lobby of a law office and began to masturbate in front of the office’s secretary, according to a police report.

He stared at the secretary through the window, grabbed his crotch and then walked inside, according to the report. 

The secretary left to find help, and when she returned, the man was gone, according to the report.

GPD and UPD are working together on the investigation. 

Both departments have increased patrols in the sorority row area, Clark said.

“Of course that is a crime,” he said. “You can’t just expose yourself to people like that.” 

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo