Friday, July 12, 2024

UF is celebrating Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy.

It is holding events through the next week to help students learn about MLK’s teachings, said Jonathan Cohen, a professor of law and associate director of the Institute for Dispute Resolution at the Levin College of Law. 

He hopes the events will help students understand the importance of justice.

“Dr. King had such deep insights into the nature of justice,” Cohen said. “Trying to move our world from an unjust place to a justice place.”

Cohen said he will read King’s “Letter From Birmingham Jail” at an event today at the Levin College of Law. He said he’ll have students discuss it and hopes they understand past events and the impact they have had to this day.

Vasanti Sharma, a UF business administration senior, said she will give back on MLK Day along with her multicultural sorority. She will pick up litter and plant trees with Keeping Alachua County Beautiful.

“Martin Luther King Day is a monumental day in history,” the 21-year-old said. “He changed the way that people should think about racism and color.”

She said she hopes others also give back on MLK Day.

“On this day, we should give back to the community — to the world — how he gave to us,” Sharma said.