Saturday, October 19, 2024
Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police arrested a UF plumber Friday morning after they said he fired three bullets into the ceiling of a parking garage.

At about 2 a.m. Friday, Jacob Bryan Heflin, 22, argued with 12 other men on the second floor of the Downtown Parking Garage, according to a police report.

Heflin then grabbed a pistol from his truck and fired three shots into the ceiling, according to the report.

A piece of shrapnel ricocheted from the ceiling and struck a man in the chest, causing non-life-threatening injuries, according to the report. 

Heflin’s friend, Philip Cody Vanorden, took the gun from Heflin and tucked it in his waistband. He later placed the gun in his truck, according to the report.

Heflin told police he was involved in the fight but did not remember shooting the gun, according to the report.

Heflin works as a plumber in the Department of Housing and Residence Education, according to UF’s staff directory.

Police arrested Heflin on charges of aggravated assault, aggravated battery and firing a gun in public. They arrested Vanorden on charges of tampering with evidence and accessory after the fact.

Authorities took the men to the Alachua County Jail where they were released Saturday after Heflin paid a $125,000 bond and Vanorden paid a $25,000 bond.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo