Friday, July 12, 2024

Food, art and culture collide at downtown festival

<p>Artist Jean Garibaldi paints a canvas at the annual Gainesville Downtown Festival &amp; Art Show on Nov. 15, 2015. The $100,000 festival went covered downtown Gainesville from Friday through Sunday.</p>

Artist Jean Garibaldi paints a canvas at the annual Gainesville Downtown Festival & Art Show on Nov. 15, 2015. The $100,000 festival went covered downtown Gainesville from Friday through Sunday.

Natasha Payton spent the weekend handing out cookies.

The marketing coordinator for King Arthur Flour stood outside a food truck and passed out chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for a $1 donation. It was part of the display for the company, which is the latest to join the 34th Annual Downtown Festival & Art Show.

"We really want to give out cookies, spread smiles throughout and inspire people to bake at home," she said.

While the flour company has been around since 1790, it was the first time it was a part of the festival, which brought local artists, musicians, food and charities together for a weekend in downtown Gainesville.

"Fairs like this are a really great place for us to be," Payton said.

The festival lasted from Friday to Sunday. IT cost $100,000 and was paid for by Gainesville Cultural Affairs, said Linda Piper, the event coordinator and manager for the festival.

The Downtown Festival & Art Show is a "celebration of art and culture," Piper said.

On Main Street, booths and tents lined the street for locals to pass by. At the Earth Pets booth, passersby could pet and play with two German shepherds while co-owners Joy and Kat Drawdy sold natural pet treats and food for dogs and cats.

"We like to support all the local artists," said Joy Drawdy. She said the festival was a great place to see people they knew from their store.

This year was the first year Madi Barrett had been able to go to the festival. An applied physiology and kinesiology freshman, Barrett said she enjoyed being able to talk to artists about their paintings and admire their work.

"I’m surprised by the amount of art that is showcased in festivals like the one today," the 18-year-old said. "I didn’t think Gainesville would be such a creative community."