Thursday, September 19, 2024
<p>Helen Roldan, a 22-year-old UF political science senior, smiles while looking at the photo she took of herself with the YikYak mascot.”It’s just really funny,” Roldan said. “I go on there a lot to laugh and see what's going on on campus.”</p>

Helen Roldan, a 22-year-old UF political science senior, smiles while looking at the photo she took of herself with the YikYak mascot.”It’s just really funny,” Roldan said. “I go on there a lot to laugh and see what's going on on campus.”

Yik Yak has a charitable side.

A representative for the popular anonymous app arrived at UF on its second stop of the Spring Campus Tour 2015 on Wednesday and will stay until today. 

The tour visits 60 schools in 34 states, said Joe Barry, the east coast tour manager.

Yik Yak joined Dance Marathon’s table on Turlington Plaza, and the app’s mascot, the Yak, drove around campus on an ice cream truck dubbed the Yakarma Kart.

For every person who approached the Dance Marathon table and posted something positive on the app, Yik Yak donated $1 to each charity. 

The process was similar at the Operation Smile table.

“We are so excited to be on UF campus these two days,” Barry, 23, said. “I can say on behalf of Yik Yak how much we love coming on campus.”

The Yik Yak team can be found showing its user appreciation and handing out merchandise on the Plaza of the Americas today.

Barry said he is thankful for the student support and enjoys donating to the charities.

“Yik Yak is on UF campus spreading love to the herd,” Barry said.

Students were happy to see Yik Yak’s presence on campus. Dani Ruadez, an 18-year-old chemical engineering freshman, said she thinks this was an amazing idea.

“I think it’s a really simple way to give back for a good cause,” she said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/19/2015 under the headline “Yik Yak visits UF campus"]