Thursday, September 19, 2024

Burrito Bros. expanding, requesting donations from community

<p>Construction workers fill out the exterior of Burrito Bros' remodeled restaurant on Monday. Northwest 14th Street, between Gator Wesley and Burrito Bros., was closed due to the restaurant's remodelling.</p>

Construction workers fill out the exterior of Burrito Bros' remodeled restaurant on Monday. Northwest 14th Street, between Gator Wesley and Burrito Bros., was closed due to the restaurant's remodelling.

After nearly 40 years of service, a local burrito joint is undergoing major reconstruction with a little help from locals.

Burrito Brothers Taco Co. on West University Avenue has served patrons from its 600-square-foot property since 1976. After breaking ground Oct. 1, the restaurant has plans to expand to almost 2,100 square feet.

To help with the costs, owner Randy Akerson created a GoFundMe account. As of press time, the restaurant has raised $2,775 to aid the funding, with a goal of $7,500.

“I am very grateful for the people that have kicked in a little,” said Akerson, who acknowledges that many contributions have come from friends and former employees. “It is very heartwarming.”

Founded in 1976, Burrito Bros. previously served patrons from a window and offered only limited outdoor seating. Now, the restaurant plans to add indoor dining and a bar.

UF sophomore Alexa Ramer is a regular customer at Burrito Bros. The 19-year-old has been going with her parents since she was about 13, and the renovations aren’t going to stop her from chowing down.

“It doesn’t matter to me if it’s from a building or a window because I’m going to enjoy going there either way,” the UF business management major said. “I’ve loved it for a long time.”

Akerson said he’s appreciative of the support he has received from the fundraiser.

“It’s been kind to us, and it’s allowed us to make a living and stay in Gainesville,” he said, referring to his business.

Burrito Bros. will be closed for small stints over the course of construction, including today and Wednesday.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/10/2015 under the headline “Burrito Bros. expanding, requesting donations from community"]