Tuesday, October 08, 2024

UF engineering cousins open Greek-American restaurant

<p>Redi Kola works in The Spot, the restaurant he opened over winter break with his cousin, Sairo. The restaurant, found in the Roberts’ Stadium Club in Midtown, serves Greek-American cuisine.</p>

Redi Kola works in The Spot, the restaurant he opened over winter break with his cousin, Sairo. The restaurant, found in the Roberts’ Stadium Club in Midtown, serves Greek-American cuisine.

Over Winter Break, two UF students and their family members opened a new restaurant in Midtown. 

Redi Kola, a UF civil engineering senior, and his cousin Sairo Kola, a 20-year-old UF mechanical engineering sophomore, opened the Greco-American restaurant The Spot on Dec. 27. 

“I thought this would be a great addition to the Midtown area because we are one of the only places around that truly makes their food fresh from scratch,” said Redi Kola, 24. 

With construction finished on Roberts’ Stadium Club, they couldn’t resist the opportunity to open a restaurant so close to campus. 

“I’ve lived in Gainesville for almost four years, and this was the first expansion in Midtown in quite a while,” he said. 

The inspiration came from their family-owned diner in St. Augustine called Oasis. The diner was sold six months ago, and they used the money to open The Spot.

Redi Kola said The Spot’s location and menu is smaller but features many of the same items he believes will be popular. Prices range from a $5 Caesar salad to an $8.95 gyro platter. 

One facet of the menu, the turkey, is baked in the Kola family’s own fresh seasoning. They also purchase meats and other ingredients from local farmers markets. 

Sairo Kola said the name was a friend’s suggestion that eventually stuck. It reflects his belief of making the new restaurant into the preferred food destination for Midtown customers. As for being students and running a business, “The biggest challenge is finding time,” Sairo Kola said.     

Donovan Garrett, a 19-year-old UF marketing sophomore, said he already considers himself a regular at The Spot. His favorite menu item is the “Triple Decker,” a specialty sandwich stuffed with ham, turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo and provolone and American cheeses.

Garrett lives in Midtown. While he loves the convenience of the area, like many students, he finds himself on a limited budget. 

“I tried it after I got back from break off a friend’s recommendation,” Garrett said. “The Spot serves very sensible portions of good food for an economic price.” 

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 1/13/2015 under the headline “UF engineering brothers open Greek-American restaurant"]

Roberts’ Stadium Club is located at 1802 W. University Avenue.

What else to do there:

Buy a pastel dress at Henri Girl.

Park in the garage for $9.75 all day or $5 for nights and weekends, and be steps away from campus and Midtown.

Eat a grilled cheese doughnut at Cheese Daddy.

Dream about owning an office or residential space on one of its higher floors.