Thursday, September 19, 2024

Women’s rights activist to speak on gendercide at UF today

In parts of the world, women and girls are being killed because of their gender, and Britt Riner is coming to UF to bring light to this issue.

Riner, interim executive director of Women’s Rights Without Frontiers, will be on campus today at 6 p.m. to show the documentary “It’s a Girl,” which focuses on gendercide, or the killing because of gender, of women in China and India.

Riner wrote in an email that gendercide is “the civil rights issue of our time” –– even though most students don’t realize it.

“Gendercide is like pouring a gas station full of fuel onto a raging forest fire,” she said.

The Network of enlightened Women at UF, which is hosting Riner, is sponsoring the event.

Although the organization is geared toward conservative university women, the NeW at UF secretary Elizabeth Osmun said this event pertains to everyone, regardless of political stance. 

“There’s no argument against what (Riner’s) doing,” the 19-year-old chemistry sophomore said.

The event is in the UF Levin College of Law library, Room HOL 285C. There will be a Q-and-A session with Riner after the showing.

“Only once people know the truth can they be empowered to do good,” she said.