Thursday, September 19, 2024

A UF student was arrested at Gator Growl after he tried to jump a fence to gain entry, failed, then punched a University Police officer in the face, according to police.

Tyler J. Blair was seen climbing a fence to Flavet Field with two women in order to avoid entrance fees shortly after 8 p.m. Friday, according to a report. When Officer Busatta approached the 21-year-old and the two women, both women ran away. Instead of running with them, Blair walked toward Busatta. 

When the officer identified himself and told Blair he could only gain access to Growl at the main entrance, the man took a step toward Busatta and yelled, “I pay tuition,” before trying to climb the fence again. 

The officer tried to get Blair off the fence when he swung around and started punching Busatta in the face — ultimately causing Blair and the officer to fall to the ground. 

While struggling on the ground, Blair grabbed Busatta’s police radio and broke it, taking away the officer’s ability to call for backup, a report said. The man then grabbed the officer’s hat and flashlight. With Blair still grabbing at the officer’s belt and hitting him, Busatta used his Taser. 

Blair then ran away with the officer’s flashlight and hat, and Busatta began to chase him on foot. 

The man was caught as he was trying to enter UF’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity chapter’s on-campus house. 

Blair was arrested on charges of battery on an officer, resisting arrest with violence, robbery, criminal mischief and depriving an officer of a means of communication. 

Blair was released Saturday at about 4:30 p.m. on a $40,000 bond.