Saturday, October 19, 2024

Three Gainesville residents were arrested Friday after an attempted drug deal.

Leon Perry, 65, tried to buy prescription narcotic pain pills from Keith Torres, 39, and Brittany Miller, 24, according to a report. When the two parties met up Thursday night, Perry handed Miller — who was in a car with Torres — $2,300 in cash. Miller and Torres then sped off without giving the drugs to Perry.

Perry proceeded to chase Miller and Torres in his car. He then called police, who located the vehicle chase. Torres, Miller and Perry were all stopped by Gainesville Police at 1100 NE Eighth Ave. early Friday morning. The cash was found in Torres’ car and seized for forfeiture.

Both Torres and Miller were arrested on charges of grand theft and both have bonds set at $10,000. Perry was arrested on charges of conspiracy to purchase a controlled substance. He was released Friday on his own recognizance.

♣♣♣

Two Gainesville men were arrested Friday after police said they found containers of crack cocaine following a traffic stop. 

Anthony Albert Allen, 38, was initially pulled over at 3500 SW 27th St. for a license plate light violation, a report said. When officers stopped Allen, his passenger — Dario Miller Veale, 22, — quickly got out of the car, fled on foot and lost an Adidas shoe.

A report said officers found a container with one gram of crack cocaine near the shoe they retrieved. Officers also found 12 small bags of white powder suggestively packaged for sale, but the powder did not test positive for a controlled substance. Law enforcement are still conducting tests on what the powdery material was.

When police searched Allen’s vehicle, they found a pill bottle in the center cup holder with four grams of cocaine. Another small plastic bag with more white powder was found in the car, but it also did not test positive for a controlled substance.

Allen was arrested on charges of cocaine possession with intent to sell and for driving with a suspended license. His bond is currently set at $252,500. Veale was arrested on charges of cocaine possession with intent to sell and for resisting officers. His bond is currently set at $29,000.

♣♣♣

A Gainesville woman was arrested Saturday after police said she swung a steak knife at a man she had a sexual relationship with.

Shortly before 5 p.m., Vera Yvonne Mathews got into an argument with the victim in the living room of her home at 501 SE 18th St., a report said. Following the fight, the 58-year-old went and grabbed a 4-inch-long knife from the kitchen. She then swung the knife at the victim’s face.

The victim got a 2-inch cut on the palm of his hand after he raised his hands in an effort to protect himself. Police found the blood-covered knife Mathews used to cut the victim in the kitchen.

Both Mathews and the victim admitted to having sexual relations for the past several months, but Mathews denied ever trying to injure the victim with a knife.

Mathews was arrested on charges of aggravated battery. Her bond is currently set at $50,000.