Friday, September 20, 2024

Rape crisis center seeks hotline volunteers for after-hours calls

On her first day of volunteering at the Alachua County Victim Services and Rape Crisis Center, Michelle felt nervous, confident and excited she could help sexual assault victims.

“Even though you’re just a voice on a phone, your voice actually helps someone calm down and find direction,” said Michelle, who asked that her last name not be disclosed.

The center is currently seeking volunteers like Michelle to serve as hotline counselors. Volunteer duties include answering the center’s after-hour crisis phone lines, said Laura Kalt, the center’s sexual assault program manager.

There is no educational background requirement. 

“We have people with degrees or with no educational experience,” Kalt said. “It’s about them being able to support a person without trying to take control of the situation.”

An application, available on the Victim Services and Rape Crisis Center website, is required to apply.

Volunteers begin their six to eight weeks of training with an online course through the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence. Training includes one-on-one sessions and interactive roleplaying before starting a minimum of nine months at the center. 

“I think this type of work is humbling almost,” said Kristen Gerken, a 21-year-old UF psychology student. “It not only helps the victims but the volunteers as well.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/15/2014 under the headline "Rape crisis center seeks hotline volunteers for after-hours calls"]