Saturday, October 19, 2024

A Gainesville man was arrested shortly before midnight Tuesday and charged with driving under the influence and leaving the scene of a crash that involved injuries.

Gainesville Police officers responded to a hit-and-run at about 10:30 p.m. involving Dail Z. Mills, 25, who was driving a pickup truck close to Northeast Ninth Street. Police say Mills ran the eastbound stop sign and hit a Mercury, which was heading north on the same street at the time.

Mills drove away from the scene, and a witness followed him to his residence, located at 3003 NE 11th Terrace. The witness then notified the responding officers.

Mills appeared impaired and performed poorly on field sobriety tests. Mills was taken to GPD and blew two breath samples, which read 0.158 and 0.146. The legal limit is 0.08.

After the DUI investigation, Mills was transported to UF Health Shands Hospital for medical clearance.

Gainesville Fire Rescue had to cut and remove the car doors to get the injured passenger, who was complaining of back and neck pain, out of the vehicle.

There was an estimated $2,000 worth of damage.

Mills paid a $20,000 bond and was released from Alachua County Jail Wednesday afternoon.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 9/4/2014 under the headline "Man charged with hit and run"]