Saturday, September 21, 2024

Animals hate America’s favorite holiday. Fireworks scare them, hot dogs upset them and bug spray makes them sick. It’s no wonder that more pets are lost on the Fourth of July than on any other day of the year.

The Humane Society is already preparing for the influx of lost animals, mostly dogs that will run away due to the fireworks. “Most people don’t realize how scary it is for animals,” said Amanda Burks, executive director of the Alachua County Humane Society.

Burks suggests bringing pets inside before the festivities get underway. She recommends leaving pets at home if you are going to a party.

Any changes to an animal’s diet can add stress as well. Tossing your dog a burger can cause digestive issues. Common Fourth of July items like bug spray and citronella candles can make pets sick if ingested.

Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended or within reach of animals, Burks said. Intoxicated with a bellyache during an earsplitting fireworks display is not how your pet wants to spend its evening.

Setting up a safe space for your pet, such as a crate, is an essential precaution, Burks said. If your animal already has medication for storms or a Thundershirt — a shirt that uses gentle pressure to provide a calming effect on dogs — Burks recommends using those.

“Dogs aren’t as good at hiding, so they flee,” Burks said. “Cats are just as scared, but they’re better at hiding, so they run under the bed instead of jumping over the fence.”

The animals at the Humane Society will be kenneled earlier than normal on Friday. Being in their “safe space” keeps the agitation level low, Burks said.

The best precaution is to make sure that pets have proper identification makes it easier to get animals back to their owners. 

[A version of this story ran on page 10 on 7/3/2014 under the headline "Furry friends fear the 4th"]