Saturday, September 07, 2024

Rep. Ted Yoho sat down with UF students Wednesday to discuss a program that offers college opportunities to low-income and first-generation students.

Six student representatives from the Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program joined Yoho.

The program guides 25 students from under-represented backgrounds in their pursuit of a Ph.D.

The six McNair Scholars expressed appreciation toward the program and urged Yoho to support it. The program is federally funded through the Higher Education Act, which is up for renewal in the U.S. House of Representatives this year.

Program Director Samesha Barnes said she looks for students who are passionate about their education but need support to achieve their goals.

She said she is trained to “look for diamonds in the rough” to engage in the intensive research program and provide students with mentorship and academic opportunities.

Yoho said hearing students’ direct experiences helps him guide federal funding. Meeting students lets him see how current programs can serve as solutions for the future.

Jose Castaneda, a 21-year-old UF political science and economics junior and a McNair Scholar, said the program gives students “an edge.”

“It opens up a new world that you have never had the chance to see,” he said.

Yoho said he resonates with economically disadvantaged students because he was once in their position.

“I’m one of six brothers … Nobody in our family went to college,” he said. “I know exactly where (they’re) coming from.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 4/17/2014 under the headline "Rep. Ted Yoho meets with McNair Scholar students at UF"]