Friday, September 20, 2024

I have a confession to make — I have a Tinder account.

Despite being around for more than a year, Tinder remains relevant. And judging by the number of people I find on it, it’s thriving.

For those who don’t know what Tinder is, the app pulls users’ Facebook information to create a profile. Users can then add a few pictures and a short description of themselves.

Now comes the fun part. The app searches for Tinderers in your area and brings up their profiles. You swipe left for “Please get away from me,” and right for “Helllooooo.”

If both users swipe right for each other, Tinder sends each of them an alert. They can then message each other and do, well, whatever it is people use Tinder for.

Theoretically, you can be Tinder-ing in your pajamas at home, get a match, message them “Drinks at Mid?” and then, as long as both parties consent, have them at your place in a few hours.

Minimum effort, maximum results.

However, what I find most interesting about Tinder is that it’s very hard for people to admit they have one. There’s usually some amount of staring at the floor and mumbling an excuse for why they downloaded the app before they’ll actually admit to it.

“My friend downloaded it,” “I just got it as a joke to mess around with people,” and “I only have it so I can write a column about it,” are my favorites.

I’ve seen a large number of UF Tinder users, so don’t hold your head down in shame. You’re not the only one who wants to meet hot singles in your area.

You’re on a higher level than your friends, too. You can get a match in mere minutes while your friends still have to go through the long process of meeting people in real life. Face-to-face conversation? What is this — the stone age?

Seriously, though, Internet dating of any kind, whether it be OkCupid, Match.com or Tinder, is becoming so mainstream that there’s no reason to be coy about owning accounts on the sites.

It’s convenient, it’s fun, and it connects me with people I never would have met in person. So in my eyes, I give it a 10 out of 10 and would recommend it.

It’s important to note that there are some tips to make your Tinder experience a little more pleasant and successful.

In my time on Tinder, I’ve noticed a few unspoken rules. If you identify as a female, you must have the requisite bikini picture. If you’re a guy, one of your pictures should include a cute animal. Bonus points if it’s a lion or a tiger.

If you’re a male who is taller than 6 feet, you must have that in your Tinder description. If you are less than a 7 out of 10, make sure your profile picture is of you with an attractive friend.

If you follow any of those, you’ll fit right in with the Tinder community.

But in terms of standing out on Tinder, it all comes down to your description. I’m not saying a good body or pretty face isn’t nice, but I swipe right on almost anybody with a paragraph that makes me laugh.

Get creative and make it a talking point. For example, mine says that I make great banana bread and that I was voted “most likely to be president” in middle school. I recommend you add fun facts like that to your description.

It gives your profile a little personality and makes it easier for matches to start a conversation because they already know a little bit about you.

So if you’re wondering if my Tinder use has paid off, well, a lady never Tinders and tells.

[Robyn Smith is a UF journalism sophomore. Her columns appear on Mondays. A version of this column ran on page 6 on 3/24/2014 under the headline "Tinder love: Minimum effort, max results"]