Friday, September 20, 2024

UF students to turn trash into fashion in Tailored Waste competition

JESSLYN WADE

UF is turning trash into treasure for its first repurposed fashion competition.

The Repurpose Project, a local nonprofit that reuses cast-off resources, and UF’s Office of Sustainability are hosting a fashion competition called Tailored Waste, which will allow students to submit sketches of clothing items made from reusable materials, said Laurel Nesbit, program assistant for the Office of Sustainability.

“We are encouraging students to be creative and discover new uses for everyday items that usually end up in landfills,” Nesbit said.

The participants can work in teams or individually. The materials used in each piece must be reusable, and the clothing items must highlight an area of resource consumption: food, energy, waste or transportation. Sketches will be accepted until March 9.

Nesbit said her office is encouraging students to go to the Repurpose Project to take a look around, rethink what they throw away and get inspired to sketch.

“A big part of sustainability is to get as much life out of the things we are buying and consuming, even if it’s a life that’s different than its original purpose,” Nesbit said.

The final creation will be revealed on Campus Earth Day on April 11, and the winner of the competition will receive a gift certificate, she said.

Mike Myers, the co-founder of the Repurpose Project, said his organization will supply the winner with materials to help bring his or her sketch to life. He said his organization is eager to help the Office of Sustainability with the fashion competition.

“We have wanted to do this for a while,” Myers said. “We are really happy that the Office of Sustainability got ahold of us.”

Emily Creahan, a 19-year-old UF art history sophomore, said she is extremely interested in this competition.

“I think it’s a great way to build awareness to be environmentally friendly,” Creahan said. “It’s a good way for everyone to get involved.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/25/2014 under the headline “Students to turn trash into fashion"]