Saturday, September 07, 2024

Student housing company donates $5k to UF's Center for Leadership and Service

UF’s Center for Leadership and Service received a donation of $5,000 from Campus Crest Communities Inc. last week.

The funds will add service-learning opportunities for students, said Kara Clayton, area sales manager for Campus Crest.

“While UF has a wide variety of influential organizations, we decided on the CLS because it shares our commitment to providing students with meaningful service opportunities that enhance their academic experiences,” Clayton said.

Campus Crest, which is a developer, a builder, an owner and manager of student housing properties, is building The Grove, a student-housing community expected to open in time for the 2014-2015 academic year.

CLS is a department under UF Student Affairs that provides students with experiences to prepare them to create positive sustainable change.

“We’re really looking to create social, responsible leaders on UF’s campus,” said Angela Garcia, director of community engagement and service-learning for CLS. “This donation is one way that will help us with the resources to do so.”

CLS Executive Director Josh Funderburke wrote in an email that the department is very excited about the donation.

“We hope to see a great deal of additional partnerships like this in support of that mission and to further emphasize the importance of student community engagement,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 2/24/2014 under the headline "Company donates $5k to UF"]