Saturday, September 28, 2024

Free food alert: Firehouse subs today

Firehouse Subs is giving away free sandwiches today.

The chain is releasing its new “Hearty & Flavorful” menu by giving away one of its six fewer-than-500-calorie subs to customers from 5 to 7 p.m. at both Gainesville locations.

“We want to be everybody’s choice for lunch and dinner,” said Cecily Sorensen, Firehouse’s vice president of corporate communications. “Part of this new menu is offering something we have not done in almost 19 years in business.”

Sorenson said the co-founders have been in the process of creating the new menu for more than a year because they didn’t want to abandon Firehouse’s identity.

Gary Gale-Shelton, manager of the Subway restaurant located at 1805 SW 13th St., said he doesn’t think it will hurt Subway’s sales.

“This is stuff we rolled out a year or two ago, and they’re just rolling it out now,” he said.

Adam Altman, a 22-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior, said he’s excited.

“They’re probably one of the best options or highest in my book for right-off-University food,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/18/2014 under the headline "Free food alert: Firehouse subs today"]