Sunday, October 06, 2024
<p>Junior Matt Elliott competes in the men's open 100 breast at the Pinch a Penny All-Florida Invitation at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Sept. 28.</p>

Junior Matt Elliott competes in the men's open 100 breast at the Pinch a Penny All-Florida Invitation at the Stephen C. O'Connell Center on Sept. 28.

Two of the Southeastern Conference’s best swimming and diving programs will face off in the O’Connell Center today when Florida takes on Georgia at noon.

The latest collegeswimming.com rankings have the Gator men’s and women’s teams at the No. 2 spot, and both teams for the 'Dawgs are sitting four spots below at No. 6. It may not be the early season ranking that would be expected from the women’s defending champs, but today’s matchup is Georgia’s first top-15 opponent this season.

Florida coach Gregg Troy knows that Georgia is potent on both fronts.

“I see two really good Georgia teams,” he said. “Georgia (women) has a lot of depth and it will be a good test for us to see what we will need to compete at the NCAA meet.

“A little bit different challenge than California was. Cal had some weaknesses that we could focus on. Georgia has no weaknesses.”

Troy has noted several times this season that his women’s team is without depth in some events — breaststroke and butterfly events, specifically.

But look for the women to get a boost from diving. They have vastly improved over the first two dual meets compared to last season — no wins and 20 total points in 2012, and three wins and 47 points in 2013.

The extra points the Gators could potentially receive from diving may prove to be the deciding factor in what has been a one-sided affair in recent years. Georgia has come out on top against Florida’s women six years in a row.

Depth might play a role in the men’s competition as well, according to Troy.

“I think our men have few weaknesses and create a very tough meet lineup. If someone wants to get in the pool with us, they’re going to have to measure up in all of the events and be ready to go,” he said.

“Georgia has an outstanding team and is probably the best men’s team we’ve gone against so far. Depth could be a deciding factor.”

Follow Logan McGuire on Twitter @loganjmcguire.