Saturday, September 21, 2024

UF’s Black Student Union is preparing to hold a new competition on campus where students can lip-synch their hearts out.

UF’s first campus-wide lip-synch competition, “The Vegas Decade Showdown,” is hosted by the union and slated for Oct. 28 in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom.

The winner of each category will receive a trophy, and the overall winner will be awarded a $100 cash prize, said Janna Gilstrap, a 20 year-old UF telecommunication junior and BSU member.

The competition will be separated into four categories: Greek, individual, organization and group, Gilstrap said.

The teams will be given an ‘80s, ‘90s or 2000s music category. Each team must create a routine to a song from the decade.

About 20 teams have applied to participate in the show, Gilstrap said.

The competition will be judged by UF faculty and staff members including the Institute of Black Culture director Vee Smith.

Performances will be judged based on creativity, originality, appearance and crowd appeal, Gilstrap said.

BSU is also encouraging audience members to wear an outfit that represents their favorite decade. The person with the best outfit will be awarded a prize.

Jah’tia Haynes, the special events director, said she expects the ballroom to be so full that they will have to stream the show in smaller surrounding rooms.

“You don’t have to know how to sing or dance,” the 20-year-old UF public relations junior said. “You just need to know how to have a good time.”

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/22/2013 under the headline "BSU plans lip-synch competition"