Saturday, September 21, 2024

UF rated 'best bang for buck' by Washington Monthly

UF was recently ranked the No. 1 national university with the “Best Bang for the Buck,” according to the Washington Monthly.

The University of Georgia and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill followed in second and third place, according to a press release from The Washington Monthly.

UF’s tuition is $6,270 a year for in-state students compared to the national average of $8,655, said UF spokesman Steve Orlando.

“We’re really proud of being recognized for the great value that we give our students,” Orlando said. “When we rank so highly in some of these publications, I think it’s nice for our students to know that they’re getting a great return on their investment.”

To receive a Washington Monthly ranking, a college needs at least 20 percent of students who receive Pell Grants, a graduation rate of 50 percent and a graduation rate that exceeds the predicted rate based on the number of low-income students, according to a news release. Colleges must also have a student loan default rate of 10 percent or less.

“I definitely think I’m getting what I’m paying for because I’m in-state and I have Bright Futures,” said Carrie Noland, a 19-year-old UF advertising sophomore.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 9/23/2013 under the headline "UF rated best bang for buck"