Saturday, September 21, 2024

Engineering Innovation Summit to kick off today in Reitz Union Grand Ballroom

The Reitz Union Grand Ballroom today will thunder from creative minds brainstorming over the future of engineering and innovation.

The second floor of the Reitz will be home to the UF Engineering Innovation Institute’s biennial Engineering Innovation Summit.

The summit is free and open to the public. It will span today from 1:15 to 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon. It will feature a panel discussion with successful innovators from across the country.

Summit Schedule

This year’s theme is “Transforming Engineering Education & Research to Unleash the Creative Spirit.”

“Part of what we are trying to do here is really bring thought leaders together to talk about that next generation of engineer,” said Director of the Engineering Innovation Institute Erik Sander.

When Sander was an engineering student at UF, the industry demanded technical depth and the ability to analyze problems.

The requirements for the next generation of engineers is much different, he said.

“If you look at where innovation and entrepreneurship is going, it’s about teamwork,” Sander said. “That team of the future works interdisciplinary. So, we welcome students of all disciplines.”

Director of marketing and communications for the College of Engineering Helen Goh said this summit is a way to look at engineering education in a different light.

“We really want to make an impact in engineering education to the extent to where students are able to think out of the box and combine creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship,” she said.

Jaclyn Fine, a 20-year-old UF mechanical and aerospace engineering junior, said the summit encourages creativity and innovation using creativity.

“It’s good for freshmen and sophomores to go because it shows them what they can do when they get to industry,” Fine said.

Sander said he wished he had chances to learn about the big picture at events like this.

“This is an opportunity for students to hear from the best in the world,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 9/19/2013 under the headline "Engineer summit to transform Reitz"