Saturday, September 21, 2024

Campus Copy Fax & Pack permanently closed, temporarily made into SG computer lab during construction

The Campus Copy Fax & Pack has packed up for good.

The Reitz Union permanently closed the copy store at the end of Summer A after about seven years of business. The Student Government Computer Lab from the third floor of the Reitz Union has temporarily relocated to the space.

Brian Brasington, assistant director for business services at the Reitz Union, said the store closed for financial reasons. He said the store lost about $20,000 on average a year and was subsidized by other services in the Reitz Union.

After two years of marketing campaigns to drive sales, Brasington said the Reitz Union Board of Managers made a decision in Spring to permanently close the store by June 30, the end of UF’s fiscal year.

Once the Reitz Union renovations are complete in two years, the SG Computer Lab will move out of Campus Copy Fax & Pack’s space and into a permanent location. Brasington said he doesn’t know what will be moved into the space then.

Pablo Palomino entered the Reitz Union Wednesday to use the SG Computer Lab but found a long line to the new computer lab in place of the copy store.

The 21-year-old materials science and engineering senior, who used the store occasionally to send faxes, said he wasn’t surprised the store closed because he never saw it busy. Palomino said he enjoyed the store’s central location because the post office was far from his room in Trusler Hall.

“It was convenient to know it was there,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 8/23/2013 under the headline "Campus Copy Fax & Pack not coming back"