Saturday, September 21, 2024

Kites inspired by Ponce de Leon now sailing away at the Harn

Silk kites representing the sails of Spanish ships are now on display at UF.

“Winds of Change,” a summer program that is part of Creative B, will run until Sept. 23. The kites can be found at the Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art, the UF College of Engineering and the UF Health Cancer Center, said Jessica Hurov, the public relations and marketing manager for the UF College of Fine Arts.

Lucinda Lavelli, dean of the College of Fine Arts, wrote in an email that the idea for the exhibit came from Viva Florida 500, the 500th anniversary of Juan Ponce de Leon’s arrival on Florida’s east coast.

She said the kites were designed by Tim Elverston and Ruth Whiting, the latter of whom is a UF alumna. The kites serve as a metaphor for the sails of the Spanish ships.

“The exhibit also embraces the idea that kites are a form of art and can be beautiful,” Lavelli said.

The exhibit at UF Health Cancer Center will be on display until Aug. 17, and the kites will be installed at the UF New Engineering Building starting June 27 and will be on display until Sept. 26, according to the UF Creative B calendar. She said the public art program is funded privately through the Office of the Provost and not through state dollars.

It is free to visit the exhibit at all locations.