Saturday, September 21, 2024
<p>Bruno Soares of Brazil, right, and Lisa Raymond of the United States pose with the trophy for runner up after losing to Daniel Nestor of Canada and Kristina Mladenovic of France after the mixed doubles final match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, London, on Sunday.</p>

Bruno Soares of Brazil, right, and Lisa Raymond of the United States pose with the trophy for runner up after losing to Daniel Nestor of Canada and Kristina Mladenovic of France after the mixed doubles final match at the All England Lawn Tennis Championships in Wimbledon, London, on Sunday.

After securing a spot in Sunday’s mixed doubles match at Wimbledon, former Gator Lisa Raymond fell in the final of the 2013 Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Championships at Centre Court on Sunday.

Raymond competed alongside Brazil’s Bruno Soares but fell 5-7, 6-2, 8-6 to Canada’s Daniel Nestor and France’s Kristina Mladenovic. The pair held two match points in the third set but failed to secure a win.

On Friday, Raymond and Soares bested Russia’s Vera Dushevina and Dutchman Jean-Julien Rojer 6-4, 6-4 in the Wimbledon semifinal contest at the All England Club to earn a berth in this past weekend’s championship round.

Raymond won a share of the title in 2012.

During her time at the University of Florida, Raymond led Florida to its first NCAA National Championship in 1992, and netted the NCAA Singles title in both 1992 and 1993.

Contact Chuck Kingsbury at ckingsbury@alligator.org.