Saturday, July 06, 2024

All Eugene Jerome wants is to have fun: Girls and a carefree life are his methods.

“Brighton Beach Memoirs,” which takes place in 1937, tells the story of 15-year-old Jerome and his family, whose Old World traditions are challenged by a world on the brink of imminent war.

The semi-autobiographical Neil Simon comedy debuted at the UF Constans Theatre at the Nadine M. McGuire Theatre and Dance Pavilion Wednesday and will run through Sunday, with a return engagement July 9-14.

This is the first Neil Simon play to be presented by the UF School of Theatre + Dance in at least a quarter of a century.

Kevin Roost, a 20-year-old theatre performance senior, plays Jerome. This is his first lead performance at UF. He said the play is very quick and engaging.

“People will find connections to every character in the play,” Roost said.

UF theatre and dance professor Judith Williams is directing the comedy. She said “Brighton Beach Memoirs” is a personal Neil Simon favorite of hers.

“I like what it says about family, what’s really important in life,” Williams said.

Williams and Roost stress the importance of family relationships in the play. During this uncertain time, Jerome must depend on his family.

The success of “Brighton Beach Memoirs” led to two more plays about Jerome: “Biloxi Blues” and “Broadway Bound.”

Roost said he hopes “Brighton Beach Memoirs” will continue its success at UF.

“I don’t want this play to go unrecognized,” Roost said. “I don’t want it to be written off.”

Tickets are $17 for the general public and $13 for students, faculty, senior citizens and the military. Tickets may be purchased from the University Box Office at 352-392-1653 or www.ticketmaster.com.