Friday, September 20, 2024
<p>Piccio finished her college career Friday with a 75 (+3) in UF's final round of the NCAA Championships. The Gators finished 17th overall.&nbsp;</p>

Piccio finished her college career Friday with a 75 (+3) in UF's final round of the NCAA Championships. The Gators finished 17th overall. 

The Florida women’s golf team’s season ended not with a bang, but merely a whimper.

The Gators shot a 303 (+15) during the final round Friday, finishing 17th and closing out a disappointing performance at the NCAA Championships with a total of 1,205 (+53). USC won the tournament with a team total of 1,133 (-19).

After shooting her third 75 (+3) of the tournament, senior Mia Piccio finished with a team-best 298 (+10).

After she bogeyed three of the first five holes on her back nine, the senior fired three straight birdies and finished her collegiate career with a par on hole No. 9.

“I think the girls that were here this week and are returning next year, learned a lot this week,” coach Emily Bastel said in a realease.

“We have some great additions coming to the team next year. Between that mix, I think it’s going to make for a lot of exciting qualifying and exciting tournaments for us.”

During her first season as Florida’s coach, Bastel saw two team victories in the fall, a third straight berth in the NCAA Championships and the 24th overall appearance in the tournament in school history.

“It was an adventurous year,” Bastel said. “We started out super strong and had about as good of a fall season as we could have had. I know I learned a lot, and this team learned a lot. Even down to the very last putt today, we’re still learning and that’s what this game is all about.”

Next year’s returning players found some success in the final round Friday. Junior Elcin Ulu carded her best score of the tournament, shooting a 75 (+3). Sophomore Anna Young also contributed a personal tournament low of 77 (+5).

With a little more than three months left before they hit the links again in September, the Gators are optimistic despite the poor outcome this week.

“Sometimes you learn more from the bad experiences than the good ones,” Bastel said. “Overall, there were a lot of positives to the year that the girls coming back can take away for next year.”