Saturday, September 21, 2024

Girl talk with ‘Hot In Cleveland’ stars Betty White, Jane Leeves

TV Land’s premiere scripted comedy “Hot In Cleveland” has turned crowds young and old onto what many call this generation’s “The Golden Girls.”

With new episodes premiering June 19 on TV Land, series stars Jane Leeves and the legendary Betty White reflected in a phone interview about staying hip in today’s 20-something-dominated industry.

With a slew of guest stars coming up (including a “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” reunion), the show’s leading ladies seem to be humbly reveling in another television success story.

“[I’ve heard it said that] ‘Hot in Cleveland’ has done for TV Land what ‘Mad Men’ did for AMC. It sort of branded the network,” Leeves said. “It feels really great for us to keep this genre alive.”

Both actresses are no strangers to smash television series, with Leeves featured on “Frasier” and White making a name for herself on “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” and “The Golden Girls.”

When the ladies joined forces with fellow sitcom veterans Valerie Bertinelli and Wendie Malick for “Cleveland,” the foursome immediately bonded. But despite the show’s high ratings, it was that initial bond that kept its cast so focused.

“The success of [the] show is due to [the] chemistry between the four of us. We just absolutely adore each other,” Leeves said.

Working in the spotlight can be tough, but both actresses stressed keeping things professional is best for any aspiring performer.

“I think that’s a huge reference that any actress [can have] starting out — to show up knowing what you’re doing and always being professional,” Leeves said.

Even when keeping things professional, the actresses still make time for fun — especially with the opposite sex.

While Leeves gushed about guest star George Engel — “We’re all desperately in love” — White commented on her late night appearances on Craig Ferguson’s show — “He is absolutely, totally crazy.” And although White says she’s “not looking for [a male lover] in real life,” she hopes her character, Elka, gets a companion on the show.

Even though she has been in the business for almost seven decades, White isn’t tired of the limelight — or comedy — just yet.

“It’s the best thing in the world. You never want it to go away,” White said. “You can’t get rid of me. Why should I get rid of something I enjoy so much?”