Sunday, September 22, 2024

Shame of the Nation: Florida’s politicians are the worst

Real talk: Florida is one of the worst states. Take a drive through our great state, and describe how many smells you encounter. It’s not pleasant. Not to mention, our state’s government is often terrible and maybe even corrupt.

No, we’re not even talking about Gov. Voldemort. We’re talking about Florida’s Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll.

Carroll resigned this week “amid an investigation into an alleged illegal-gambling scheme that officials said has led to charges against 57 people,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

“Individuals were arrested [Tuesday] for racketeering and money laundering charges in connection with Allied Veterans of the World’s illegal gambling companies,” Scott’s chief of staff, Adam Hollingsworth, wrote in an email to reporters, according to the LA Times.

“Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll consulted for Allied Veterans while serving as a member of the Florida House of Representatives in 2009 and 2010. She was interviewed by Florida Department of Law Enforcement officers regarding her work with the company,” he said. “Lt. Gov. Carroll resigned in an effort to keep her former affiliation with the company from distracting from the administration’s important work on behalf of Florida families. She made the right decision for the state and her family.”

“Allied Veterans was founded in 1979 and evolved from a charitable organization that ran bingo games and held bake sales for veterans to a group suspected of widespread illegal gambling around Florida, according to an Internal Revenue Service affidavit,” according to ABC News. “The IRS pronounced the charity a fraud.”

Not only are you running an illegal gambling scheme, but it’s also under the guise of a veterans’ charity? You’ve gotta be kidding. It was not enough that we’re are the laughingstock of the nation, now we’re also more despicable than we were just a week ago?

Regardless of her direct involvement with the gambling scheme, we’re happy Carroll stepped down this week. She was at the center of a rumor-filled scandal this summer — a “former aide to Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll claiming that she caught her boss in a ‘compromising position’ with another female staffer,” according to the New York Daily News.

That wasn’t the problem. The problem was how Carroll responded to the accusation.

“Black women that look like me don’t engage in relationships like that,” Carroll said, with a laugh.

Instead of being an awesome role model, she basically only did things that didn’t make anyone proud.

What do resigning lieutenant governors say in their resignation letters? Carroll’s was two sentences. It was addressed to “The Honorable Rick Scott,” and it read:

“Effective immediately, I hereby resign the Office of Lieutenant Governor of the State of Florida. It has been an honor to have served the State of Florida in this capacity.”