Sunday, September 22, 2024

Students planning to stick around Gainesville during Spring Break will have to plan ahead if they intend to ride the bus.

From Saturday to March 10, Regional Transit Service will run on its reduced service schedule, which includes suspending some of its routes, according to an RTS press release.

City routes 1, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 17, 20, 23, 34, 35, 36 and 43 will run less often during the week.

Later Gator, campus service and city routes 21, 22, 27, 28, 29, 38, 39, 46, 62 and 76 will not run during the break.

“Since ridership reduces during the break and some of our service is funded by UF and Santa Fe, they don’t want to pay when most students are out of town,” said Chip Skinner, RTS marketing and communications supervisor.

Some students may be affected by this temporary schedule.

Alex Lum, an 18-year-old UF statistics freshman, said he plans to spend the majority of the break in Gainesville. Lum said besides going to work, he’ll be studying.

“I don’t think I’ll be bothered by how little the bus is running,” he said.

The remainder of city routes 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11,15, 24, 25 and 75 will continue to run on their normal schedule. Paratransit service won’t be affected either. RTS will resume its normal schedule when students return to class March 11.