Sunday, September 22, 2024

Ladies Night: New comedy lineup?

Don’t really believe everything you read in the New York Post.

Comedian John Mulaney said in his special, titled “New In Town,” that reading the New York Post “is like talking to someone who heard the news, and now they’re trying to give you the gist.”

“It’s like someone read a better newspaper,” Mulaney said, “and now they’re trying to text you everything they can remember. Doesn’t have to be right, just has to be short.”

Recently, the Post has speculated on who will take over Jimmy Fallon’s “Late Night” hosting gig.

Don’t be alarmed: Fallon isn’t necessarily disappearing. This is all based on the assumption Fallon will be taking over after Jay Leno’s contract to host “The Tonight Show” runs out in 2014.

The Post could see Seth Meyers filling Fallon’s role. Meyers is head writer for “Saturday Night Live” and the “Weekend Update” host for the show.

That would be an easy-ish transition, as Fallon once hosted “Update,” as well, when he was on “SNL.”

But in recent years, Fallon has found his niche on “Late Night.” He lost a lot of favor with audiences by the end of his “SNL” run — mostly because he broke character in so many of the sketches. (To be fair, who could blame him because those sketches were hilarious.)

So, once he left the show and started hosting “Late Night,” people were concerned if it was a good fit for him. We believe he’s been able to really develop his own brand of comedy through the show, and he seems to have really come into his own.

The Post’s other guess for new host of “Late Night” is Howard Stern.

Personally, we don’t see the appeal for Stern at all. His radio show just isn’t our cup of tea. However, we could definitely understand that Stern hosting a late-night talk show would most likely draw tons of viewers. Is it the right fit for him? Who knows.

You could probably come up with a better idea for a host yourselves.

That’s kind of what BuzzFeed reporter Adam B. Vary did over the weekend with a post titled “8 Potential New ‘Late Night’ Hosts Who Aren’t White Men.”

So many funny women could do this job, y’all. There are so many more than the article even lists. Like, have you seen YouTube? Grace Helbig or Mamrie Hart, stars of “DailyGrace” and “You Deserve A Drink,” respectively, could probably host “Late Night” just fine.

Vary mentioned ladies like Maya Rudolph and Amy Sedaris. We ask: Why not?

Let’s think outside of the box when it comes down to choosing new talent to showcase.

That’s all we’re asking. There are so many more options than the obvious ones. That’s saying a lot because Meyers is amazing at what he does, and we’d be happy to watch him be funny on our TV screens forever. But there should be room for new growth.

We know the new lineup will be great because Leno won’t be involved any more.