Sunday, September 22, 2024

Unless you’re Taylor Swift, you’ve probably been single on Valentine’s Day. But it shouldn’t be a letdown this year.

“Safe Haven,” based on a novel by Nicholas Sparks, released in theaters today.

Although going to see anything based on a Sparks book when you’re single seems like suicide, going with your friends is a good idea. That is safer than seeing it with a guy who you’re going to compare to the on-screen hunk, only to be disappointed.

If you aren’t into love stories, instead, you can decide Valentine’s Day is “A Good Day to Die Hard” and check out Bruce Willis on the big screen. If you see it matinée, you can avoid the couples and save a few dollars.

Another option is to take a trip to Ginnie Springs. If you haven’t been to Ginnie Springs, you will find that the grounds offer camping, tubing, diving instructions and more, according to www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com.

Tubing far away from malls, Hallmark stores and overpriced restaurants will help you pass the day away. You have to remember, Valentine’s Day is not just about your significant other, it is about anyone you love.

A visit to the Hippodrome State Theatre, 25 SE 2nd Place, to see “The Vagina Monologues” can also help make your day. “The Vagina Monologues” is a play sponsored by One Billion Rising and the Community of Gainesville’s VDAY campaigns aiming to end violence against women.

The play is based on Eve Ensler’s interviews with more than 200 women, according to the Hippodrome’s website listing. Tickets are $25, which includes a $20 donation to Peaceful Paths, a local domestic abuse shelter. Following the show, there will be a silent auction which will also benefit the cause.

If music is more your scene, the second annual Heartbreakers Ball will take place Downtown at High Dive beginning at 9 p.m. Performances include The Barstool Prophets, The Prenups and Chris McCarty, belting ballads that singles can relate to. Tickets will cost $8 at the door.

The biggest benefit of attending a Heartbreakers Ball is that there will be plenty of single ladies and men there to meet. You can also feel good about yourself because proceeds will go to the Nonprofit Center of North Central Florida, an organization that supports other nonprofits in the community.

A last option is to grab your closest friends and hit up Midtown or downtown, whichever you prefer. You obviously can’t force love, but going out rarely turns into a bad night. There are sure to be drink specials everywhere, and while I’m not telling you to drink your sorrows away, I am telling you to make the most of your night.

Instead of throwing your own bitter bash this year, grab some friends, get out there and just do something. Unless you’re practically [or actually] married, Valentine’s Day is just another day. Carpe diem, or seize the day. Put away the gallon of ice cream and see what Gainesville has to offer.