Saturday, September 21, 2024

Two anatomic pathology residents from UF’s College of Veterinary Medicine recently received awards at the annual meeting of the American College Veterinary Pathologists in Seattle.

Anatomic pathologists study body tissues and organs in specimens, in order to determine causes of disease in all animals — including humans.

Angelique Leone, a third-year resident, was presented with a young investigator award in the national disease section for her poster titled “Giant Cell Meningoencephalomyelitis in a Pregnant Andalusian Mare.”

Leone said she is joining the veterinary staff as a clinical instructor at Disney’s Animal Kingdom to complete a fellowship.

This will be a stepping stone for Leone and her strong interest in exotic zoo animal medicine, said Dr. William Castleman, a faculty member in the UF training program of anatomic veterinary and anatomic pathology.

Sophie Wickins, also a third-year resident, was granted the 2012 C.L. Davis Foundation Scholarship Award for Veterinary Pathology.

Castleman, who presented Wickins with the award, said it was difficult to choose the winner among the four individuals finishing up their third-year residency program.

Wickins said she was both surprised and honored to win this award.

“It is a great feeling to have your hard work recognized by those around you,” Wickins said. “Particularly when it is completely unexpected.”

Castleman, who has worked closely with Wickins and Leone, said it’s always great when people in your training program are recognized.

“It’s very positive for the training program and for the college to have your young people recognized.”