Sunday, September 22, 2024

With Spring Break just around the corner, college fashionistas everywhere are tasked with the ever-mounting challenge of finding the perfect swimsuit.

Here in the heart of the Gator Nation, a Floridian status means one should already be adept at the eternal search for spring and summer suits, especially with trending styles constantly changing.

Darcy Brown, a 18-year-old UF engineering freshman, finds Floridian styles vastly different from those in her native El Segundo, Calif.

“Here, everyone matches their bikini patterns. But in California, you wouldn’t be caught dead doing that,” she said.

With a “no shirt, no shoes, no problem” mentality in California, it’s more stylish to mix and match two-piece designs carelessly, Brown said.

But according to spring 2013 runway trends, it’s the monokinis (à la Hervé Léger by Max Azria) and one pieces (Lanvin spring 2013 ready-to-wear and Michael Kors resort collection) that will be making waves on the local beaches in a major way.

But honestly, how many of your friends are actually wearing (and pulling off) these supposed trends? Now, don’t get me wrong. We commoners to the catwalk aren’t expected to own Lanvin or Léger. But when copycat styles aren’t being swallowed up at fashion-for-the-masses chains like Target or J.C. Penney, it’s a classic case of couture crisis.

The Avenue surveyed 97 individuals aged 18-24 for their takes on the spring swimsuit trends. Despite the runway popularity of high fashion one piece suits, only about 2 percent of those polled preferred them over other options (string bikini, bandeau and halter top). Zero participants selected monokinis as their preferred style.

Andrea Konstantinidis, a 19-year-old UF political science sophomore, said monokinis are a great look, but she hasn’t gotten the chance to try one on herself.

“I think monokinis look really classy, but I’ve never worn one,” she said.

The bandeau style took first place for personal favorite in the poll, despite the fact that almost half of those polled believe string bikinis to be the most popular look overall.

Lisa Subbiondo, a 20-year-old UF accounting sophomore, said bandeaus are still her favorite.

“The style makes for better tan lines and more room for accents like fringe or beading,” she said.

So if bandeau suits are the true trending look this spring season, where’s the best place to find one? About 77 percent of those polled said Target and Victoria’s Secret were their go-to choices, while surf shops came in second at about 13 percent. Online shopping came in at about 7 percent and high-end department stores ranked last at about 3 percent.

So, will you throw caution to the wind and rock the high fashion trends or stick with the status quo and opt for a bandeau? Whatever your choice may be, I bet it will go swimmingly.