Sunday, September 22, 2024

The Peace Corps is committed to maintaining a strong relationship with the UF community and will have regular recruiter presence on campus to further support students and graduates who want to serve overseas, contrary to the assertions in the opinion column, “Peace Corps celebrates UF’s grads, but current students are left in the dark,” on Feb. 12.

So that it can better serve potential volunteers, Peace Corps is employing a field-based recruitment approach in Florida and across the country. This means that instead of working out of a central office where potential applicants come to them, field-based recruiters work virtually and go to potential applicants in their regions. This approach is more community-based and helps Peace Corps cast an even wider net for the best applicants.

Chad Chernet is the UF’s new field-based recruiter, and he has already put significant energy toward meeting people from the Peace Corps community on campus. In addition, regional staff members have been in communication with university administrators to ensure that Peace Corps is well-positioned for continuing recruitment success.

Earlier this month, we recognized UF as the Peace Corps Top College. UF consistently produces graduates who are committed to making a difference. I have no doubt that record numbers of UF graduates will continue to change the world through Peace Corps.

To reach out to Chad for more information, email cchernet@peacecorps.gov.

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Peace Corps acting director

Local officials shouldn’t restrict voting

Rep. Dennis Baxley and Alachua GOP chairman Stafford Jones should be ashamed of their efforts to restrict voting rights and opportunities for college students.

Voters are already forced to wait in line for hours on Election Day.

Political leaders should be working to make voting an easier and more efficient process.

Republican officials like Baxley know that their political relevance depends on suppressing the generally liberal attitudes of college students.

These politicians are attempting to shut those whom they disagree with out of the political process entirely.

It is time to end these voter suppression efforts conducted in the name of nonexistent ‘voter fraud.’

It is time to begin to increase the ease of access to our democratic process.

For those who didn’t follow the entire story, this law was born out of the election for the city of Gainesville’s mayor in 2010.

That same mayor, Craig Lowe, is up for re-election this March.

What better way to send a strong message to Baxley, Jones and their friends by letting our voices be heard in this election?