Saturday, September 14, 2024

Local artists display works in winter art fair this weekend

Local artists will showcase their artwork to Gainesville area residents this weekend during the sixth annual Winter Fine Art Fair at Tioga Town Center in Newberry.

The event will showcase about 80 artists from North Central Florida and will feature live entertainment and local food, said Roz Miller, public relations director for the Winter Fine Art Fair at Tioga committee.

“It’s a very festive weekend,” she said. “All we need is for the weatherman to cooperate.”

The art fair is produced by the Gainesville Fine Arts Association, said co-show director Sharon Vogel.

This year, the committee chose to feature local artist Peter Carolin as the first poster artist for the event to honor his 50th birthday, Vogel said.

The event will last three days, starting Friday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. and continuing Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Miller said the art fair committee selects and invites the artists who can participate.

On Saturday, Michigan artist Janis Madias will judge each artist’s showcase, Miller said. Winners will split a $2,000 cash prize.

Miller added she expects about 15,000 people to attend the art fair over the next three days.

“People especially like Friday night because they can get an early jump on their weekend activities and can stop by on their way home from work,” she said.