Sunday, September 22, 2024
<p>Gators sophomore Lauren Haeger pitches during a game last season. The sophomore helped Florida beat No. 1 Alabama 8-4 on Wednesday.</p>

Gators sophomore Lauren Haeger pitches during a game last season. The sophomore helped Florida beat No. 1 Alabama 8-4 on Wednesday.

On a day where it looked like the Gators’ offense would steal the show, a pitcher nearly took center stage.

With Florida leading Savannah State 12-0 in the top of the fifth inning, the pressure was still on sophomore pitcher Alyssa Bache. She had not given up a hit through four innings of work.

Bache retired the first batter of the fifth, but shortstop Tiffany Taylor sent a single into center field, ending Bache’s bid for a no-hitter.

“Sometimes those bloopers just get right in, and there’s nothing you can do about it,” Bache said.

Strong pitching and an even better offense were themes for Florida on Friday. Before the Gators beat the Lady Tigers (3-3), they run-ruled UNC Wilmington (3-4) 10-0.

Sophomore Lauren Haeger had a strong day in the circle and at the plate.

In the Gators’ opener at the Florida Lipton Invitational, she pitched five innings, allowing only two hits and striking out eight Seahawks. She also picked up two hits against UNC Wilmington.

But Haeger’s bat really shone against Savannah State. In her first plate appearance, she lifted a long fly ball to deep center field that was snagged by the center fielder but drove in a runner from third. Her second at-bat resulted in an RBI double that fell just short of clearing the fence.

In her final at-bat, Haeger rocketed a 2-1 pitch over the wall for her first home run of the season.

“I was flirting with [a home run] out there,” she said. “I was like, ‘Come on! I’ve got to hit the weight room or something!’”

Florida begins the second day of the Lipton Invitational on Saturday against Western Carolina (4-2) and a rematch with Savannah State.