Sunday, September 22, 2024

Gators drop from second to fifth at tourney

After a successful first round in the Northrop Grumman Championship left Florida tied for second place, the Gators struggled in the second round, falling to fifth place after shooting a combined 302 (+18) on Tuesday.

Every Florida starter shot worse in the second round than in the first. Senior Mia Piccio posted the Gators’ worst mark, jumping from even par in Round 1 (71) to a 7 over par (78) in Round 2. 

Camilla Hedberg, the fifth-ranked player in the nation, remained tied for second after the second round despite shooting 1 over par (72).  

After falling to 24 over par, UF’s chances of winning its fourth tournament this season have slimmed. Hedberg has the best chance to bring a title back to Gainesville.

Florida’s depth has been a strength this season, but the Gators relied on their top two starters, Hedberg and senior Isabelle Lendl,  to keep them in contention for the title during the second round.

Lendl’s score changed the least from the first round to the second. She dropped from a 74 (+3) on Monday to a 75 (+4) on Tuesday.  

Piccio’s drastic fall contributed to Florida’s 14-stroke deficit to current leader No. 3 USC. Piccio was tied with Hedberg for second after the first round, but after shooting a 78 in the second round dropped into a tie at 23rd.

Anna Young, one of the final starters for Florida, shot a 74 (+3) in Round 1 and a 77 (+6) in Round 2. Both scores are lower than her average of 78.1.

Elcin Ulu has not fared well in the Grumman Challenge. She shot an 83 (+12) in the second round.