Sunday, September 22, 2024

UF students interested in becoming involved with Student Government can attend informational meetings starting today.

Information about qualifying for the SG Spring election on Feb. 19 and Feb. 20 is available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, Monday and Tuesday in Room 284 of the Reitz Union, according to Supervisor of Elections Stephen Davis.

Anyone interested in qualifying for one of the 50 Student Senate seats must be a full-time UF student without financial obligations to the university who is not on probation for conduct. An undergraduate student looking to run for a seat must have at least a 2.5 grade point average, and a graduate student must have a 3.0.

During the Spring elections, students are elected based on their college or how many credits they have.

Students with one to 30 credits qualify as freshmen. Students with 30 to 60 credits qualify as sophomores, and students with more than 60 credits represent their college. Seats are allocated based on each college’s population.

After qualifying for a seat, students can choose to run with a political party. Those who slate must be interviewed by their chosen party today, Monday or Tuesday.

Slating will take place in rooms 285 to 287 in the Reitz Union from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The Students Party and the Swamp Party will pick their candidates Tuesday night.

Students Party President Jenna Goldman said they will rigorously interview applicants.

“We’re looking for student leaders with new ideas on how to serve the Student Body,” she said.

Swamp Party Spokesman Elliot Grasso said the party is looking for the best candidates.

“We’ve contacted our most qualified members to prepare them for interviewing,” Grasso said.

Contact Colleen Wright at cwright@alligator.org.