Sunday, September 22, 2024

Room-choosing begins Wednesday for on-campus renewals

Some UF students will keep their short commute to class for the 2013 - 2014 school year as they continue to live on campus.

Each year, between 2,000 and 2,500 students choose to live on campus again. Approximately the same number of residents have chosen to live on campus as in prior years, wrote Carolynn Komanski, assistant director of administrative services for UF’s Department of Housing and Residence Education, in an email.

“Our residents enjoy options and the freedom to self-select their housing and having the opportunity to live in a different community if they choose to live with us again,” she wrote.

The housing department does not require any student to live on campus. Students who chose to recontract for the 2013 - 2014 school year, beginning in August, will be able to start choosing a room Wednesday, according to the housing department website.

Noa Marks, a 19-year old accounting sophomore, will be living in a residential hall for her third consecutive year.

She said many students choose to remain on campus because they find organizations to become involved in during their first year. They feel they can be a more integral part of those activities if they live on campus.

Jennifer Garrido said on-campus living provides a much more social atmosphere.

“The residence halls are great to meet new people,” the 18-year-old exploratory freshman said. “I live in Jennings this year, and I have met so many amazing people by just walking around the lobby or watching TV in the common areas.”